Print this page

Can I Represent Myself in a Colorado Divorce?

Monday, 23 November 2009

Colorado divorce attorneys often consult with people who don’t need full representation in some divorce matters, but in other areas they require the help of an experienced attorney.  One example of this might be where you and your ex-spouse have agreed on the division of assets, but you are in disagreement about your parenting plan and child support.  In cases like these, Colorado courts do allow you to use an attorney to draft your pleadings and represent you in court for some matters, while leaving other issues in your hands. 

In many cases, court appearances can be the most costly element of legal representation.  If you only need an attorney to draft pleadings and respond to petitions, it may make sense to work with a Colorado Springs divorce lawyer and request “limited representation.”  If an attorney is preparing your paperwork only, they will still need to include their contact information and attorney registration number on all pleadings, but this is just for the purposes of good faith in the eyes of the courts.

This “unbundling” of legal services allows for a limited attorney-client relationship, in accordance with the Colorado Rules of Civil Procedure while the parties in the divorce maintain their pro se status.  It is a great way to represent yourself while avoiding the common pitfalls of self-prepared legal documents.

Conversely, some divorcing couples choose to do their own paperwork using a standard template or other format, but find they need legal representation for court appearances.  While this method will help cut down on legal fees, it does require that the lawyer be entered as the attorney of record for the case. 

Either way you choose to work with a divorce attorney, taking on some of the work yourself can ensure a less expensive legal bill without sacrificing representation where you need it the most. 

If you are interested in limited, or unbundled, representation, contact a Colorado Spring divorce attorney and request a free consultation.

Read 4638 times