Colorado Springs Child Support Lawyer: Collecting from Deadbeat Parents - Marrison Family Law

The largest firm dedicated to family law in Colorado Springs.

Call for a Legal Consultation: (719) 577-9292

Colorado Springs Child Support Lawyer: Collecting from Deadbeat Parents

Sunday, 24 January 2010

If a Colorado court has ordered your child’s other parent to pay child support, then you have won half the battle.  But if you still aren’t receiving support, then you need to know learn what can be done to enforce your Order of Support.  A Colorado Springs child support lawyer can help you locate your ex-spouse, alert the proper enforcement agencies, file a complaint for Contempt of Court, and help you get the support you are entitled to receive.


There are a few things that can be done immediately to help you collect the money you are owed. 

  • Hire an attorney:  Look for a lawyer who has a lot of experience with family law, and knows his or her way around the Colorado family court system.  Interview several attorneys, if possible, and make sure you are in agreement about their fees. Remember; when it comes to child support enforcement, there are several things you can do on your own.
  • Wage Garnishment/Withholding:  This is where, by court order, your ex-spouse’s employer must deduct a specific amount of money from your ex’s paycheck on a weekly basis or in some cases as a lump sum.  The most common way that employers withhold child support is in weekly increments, which are then sent to the state collection offices and dispersed to you automatically.
  • In addition to wage withholding, a Writ of Garnishment can also include personal property or liquid cash assets owned by the non-paying parent. Any of these assets can be attached to a garnishment of a lump sum deduction. 
  • A Writ of Execution allows the state to take possession of any personal property, but in a case like this you will only get your money if the items are sold and the cost of selling them will be deducted from the proceeds.  A similar writ can be filed against the real property owned by your ex, and will prevent them from selling that property until you are paid what you are owed.

In most cases, when you work with a Colorado Springs child support lawyer you will start out by filing a Complaint for Contempt of Court, especially if no other enforcement actions are already in progress.

Read 4104 times

MPatMarrisonFor over a quarter century, we have helped people during what is often the darkest time in their lives. Divorce is not easy even under the best of circumstances. For most people, family is central. Having something go wrong in the family can have a ripple effect that extends beyond the home and into other areas.

All articles

Military Discounts

Speak with an Attorney

Call us at (719) 577-9292 or complete this form to request a consultation with a Family Law attorney.

Invalid Input

Invalid Input - enter phone number using the following format xxx-xxx-xxxx

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid recaptcha input

Connect With Us