Print this page

How to Get Child Support in Colorado

Wednesday, 11 November 2009
Applying for child support in the state of Colorado can range from being very simple to extremely difficult, depending on your circumstances. In cases where paternity must first be established, or where the non-custodial parent cannot be found, you may need the help of a Colorado Springs child support attorney. 

Filing for child support, in most cases, requires you to get in touch with your local child support enforcement office and fill out an application.  Unless you are receiving public assistance, a one-time fee will be charged for filing. 

A first step in the process involves “establishing Colorado child support”.  More information on this can be found in the Colorado child support laws, under Section 14-10-115.  These laws specify that, in addition to financial support, health insurance coverage must be provided for the children. A Colorado court will determine which parent is responsible for providing insurance, and whether the non-paying parent will need to contribute. 

Calculating Colorado child support involves combining the monthly gross income of both parents, determining each parent’s percentage of the total gross income, and locating the total monthly support amount on a standardized grid.  The non-custodial parent is usually responsible for an amount equaling the total monthly support times their percentage of the total income.  Adjustments to this figure can be made based on individual circumstances, child care expenses, arrearages, and who is providing the health insurance. 

Once the order is established, the state of Colorado will be responsible for collecting and disbursing payments, enforcing payment, and processing modifications.  Unless the financial situation of either party changes, the order will only be reviewed every three years. 

In most cases, it makes sense to work with a Colorado Springs child support attorney when establishing and order of support.  An attorney can help ensure your order covers all necessary expenses, file petitions for contempt of court, and represent you in matters pertaining to your case. 


Read 5110 times